Subject: [visionlist] 120 Hz TFTs with Full HD resolution
From: Michael Dorr <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:20:42 -0400
List-Id: Vision Science Mailing List <visionlist.visionscience.com>

Dear VisionList,

(my first attempt at posting this seems to have failed, but my apologies if 
this gets sent twice)

TFTs are catching up with CRTs in terms of refresh rate as more and more 120 
Hz models are becoming available, but the potential lag of TFTs because of 
their internal digital processing is still a major issue.

A while ago, Sol Simpson reported 
(http://visionscience.com/pipermail/visionlist/2009/003419.html) that the 
Samsung 2233RZ and the ViewSonic VX2265wm run at true 120 Hz, have no internal 
frame buffering, and update the display in a scanning fashion (top to bottom).

In the meantime, even TFTs with 120 Hz and Full HD resolution (1920  by 1080 
pixels) have become available (Acer GD235HZ, Alienware OptX AW2310) or at 
least have been announced (to our knowledge, LG W2363D, Asus PG276H, ViewSonic 
V3D241wm). We have measured the Acer GD235HZ with a photodiode and found that 
it does add a 17ms delay (apparently buffering one 60 Hz frame) compared to 
e.g. a CRT or the ViewSonic VX2265wm (however, it also runs with true 120 Hz 
and updates in a scanning fashion).

Because we want to run (low-latency) gaze-contingent algorithms on a Full HD 
display, we would like to hear whether anyone has done similar measurements 
with the Alienware TFT already (or knows of another alternative). If anyone 
had such a display in the Boston area, we would also gladly come round and 
measure it.

Best regards,
Michael

-- 
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Schepens Eye Research Institute,
Department of Ophthalmology,
Harvard Medical School,
20 Staniford Street,
Boston 02114
_______________________________________________
visionlist mailing list
[email-masked]
http://visionscience.com/mailman/listinfo/visionlist